In addition to events and talks, the Charlotte Museum Trust holds regular exhibitions at Charlotte’s Gallery, located upstairs at our New Lynn museum. We welcome expressions of interest from lesbian artists wishing to show their work in 2017.
Viv Jones’ Cartoon Exhibition
- They were seen in Circle magazines through the seventies and eighties containing Lesbian and Gay themes.
Activist Tee-Shirt Display
- To wear a Tee-Shirt with Gay or Lesbian slogons on it was a brave thing to do before New Zealand finally passed legistraion in 1993 to outlaw discrimionation on the grounds of sexual orientation. During the seventies feminists used emblazoned shirts to promote, abortion, women’s and Lesbian’s rights as well as women sport’s teams and lesbian confrences. Other Shirts are hummourous that give a good feeling about ones self. Come have a look!
- Pride Mosaic Workshop with Tash – Saturday 8th April – 10am onwards
Pop Up Museum
Miriam Saphira, the Trust founder, will be bringing a display of a tee-shirt quilt, badges, magazines, information banners to Manurewa and Palmerston North. There will also be 2 films and a performance running at 1pm so if you’re in the area then don’t miss it!
- Sunday 29th April at the Nathan Homestead Manurewa, 2-5pm
- Sunday 21st May at Te Manawa Art Gallery and Museum on Main Street, Palmerston North 2-5pm
Watch this space for events that might happen @charlotte